Last Updated on February 25, 2023 by admin
You should know that life after discharge from a rehab can be quite challenging for the recovering addict. Not only do they need to abstain from alcohol and drugs but also handle everyday pressures and stresses without help. The change is formidable but necessary to allow him to resume his normal life. After a sheltered, secure existence in a treatment center, the recovering patient must look for a job and settle down. It is at this time that a halfway house can be a godsend.
These sober living facilities are available in communities near the treatment centers. You will find people like yourself, recovering from addiction, staying together under close supervision by a house manager. In a structured environment, you slowly adapt to your new life, make new friends, and learn to live independently. But how can you be sure your halfway house is right for you?
Signs that your halfway house is good:
- Good halfway houses will give you freedom but ensure that you do not flout its rules. While rules do not have not always been stringent there should be restrictions. You must be made to perform household chores, attend in-house meetings every week, and respect night curfew hours. It should arrange for random but routine drug tests to make sure the residents are not indulging in them again.
- You can be sure that your halfway house is good if you see that it punishes residents for breaking rules.
- When the house manager is someone you can reach out to at any time you can be certain you are in good hands. The house manager is responsible for managing curfews, conducting drug tests, and resolving disputes among the residents.
- The sober living facility you have been allotted should encourage you to work. This is the best way to integrate again into society. When you are busy, you do not have time to indulge in alcohol or drug abuse. Besides, working teaches you to be responsible. You learn how to save money and you become accountable for your deeds.
- A good halfway house is one where the environment is peaceful and uneventful. If you are just out of rehab, you should avoid an environment that tempts you to give in to your cravings. You need a place where you can relax and stay stress-free.
- If you know of others who have stayed there and recovered, you can be confident that the facility is good. You can follow the advice of those serious about staying sober and who have successfully resumed their lives in society.
- A halfway house that makes sure you attend your meetings regularly is reliable. When the facility is lax about such things, it means it will not be conducive to your recovery.
- If you find that the facility is not charging you anything for living there, you should avoid it. The reason is they will charge your insurance provider which is illegal. It is your duty to pay rent when you live in a sober living facility. Always trust a halfway house that encourages you to pay for your stay there.
These are some signs to look for when choosing a sober living home. If a facility conforms to these, you can be sure your recovery will be on track. And you can return to your normal life sooner than you expected.
Read More: 10 Super Trendy Living Room Color Ideas