Last Updated on August 6, 2022 by rabiamuzaffar
As surprising as it may sound, wearing a jersey has its own ground rules for proper etiquette, whether it’s for a game or practice. It’s okay to get it wrong the first time because who doesn’t want to support their favourite players? So take out that Chicago bulls jersey and take a few pointers from this article on how to look cool and show support for the team. Just because there are several reasons why dedicated players wear a jersey, doesn’t mean one has to go overboard and be sloppy when adorning the team’s colours.
Jersey Etiquette 101
- Don’t Personalize or Customise A Jersey: Supporting the star players is one thing but personalizing a jersey? Come on! Wearing one in-home watching a game gets a free pass but not when in the stands watching an official game. Not only is it discourteous to the game environment, but it will also become the subject of ridicule and contempt from other devoted fans.
- Don’t Tuck In: Tucking in a jersey doesn’t feel right in the sense of fashion, in the same way, tucking in a t-shirt doesn’t. Not only does it come off as immature but in a professional setting, individuals don’t have to. On the contrary, players are expected to tuck in their jerseys because it correlates with higher performance and clean gameplay during a match.
- Wearing A Jersey With Clothes: One of the most displeasing things to watch is seeing someone wear a Chicago bulls jersey over a shirt that doesn’t even match colours. Although t-shirts are a much better option, sporting a jersey over the hoodie can be a stylish way of resembling the team and at the same time, keeping warm during the winter times. You can find more info about printing matches of colours. Also, do try to match the colour of the shoes with the jersey as much as possible and bottom wears should blend with them all.
4. Finding The Right Fit: There’s no place for loose jerseys and finding the right fit matters. Although no one is recommending getting their jerseys tailored, getting a size too big or too small doesn’t help at all either.
5. The Right Occasion: Wearing a jersey to official gameplay or even the practice is widely accepted and here are a few other occasions where people can sport a jersey:
For outdoor activities such as running, skipping ropes or other forms of exercise, individuals can wear jerseys as a comfortable piece of clothing that doesn’t restrict movements.
Simpler activities like hanging out with friends or doing chores around the house won’t call for much discontent if the person is wearing a jersey.
For events that are specific to the game or the team like sports bars or get-togethers.
Minor events in the neighbourhood where small communities take part in like house parties or even Halloween.
6. Everything Is About The Team: Individuals aren’t recommended to wear a jersey that doesn’t support their teams or their players. As mentioned before, small things like these can draw contempt from fellow fans. All-round jerseys can also be bought that aren’t specific to a single team and people will have no problem with it.
All these points mentioned above should not come off as strict rules but rather as acting guidelines for reference. Don’t be afraid to mix and match and find what works best for every situation. Remember, these are fashion rules and like all fashion rules, they are meant to be broken and renewed. So don’t hesitate to experiment and go against the flow.