Mold can cause a number of health issues. These include but are not limited to a consistently runny nose, development of asthma, difficulty breathing, fevers, skin irritation, fatigue, headaches, and migraines. If you are experiencing any of these issues or have another reason to suspect mold growth in your home, take the following steps to address it.
Test for Mold
If you are unsure if mold is present, you’ll want to start with Reno mold testing. This can let you know if there is mold in the home, even if it’s hiding behind your walls. If your home tests positive, continue with the following steps.
Find a Safe Place to Stay
Some people choose to stay in their homes even after the mold is found. This is typically not safe, though, especially if you already have any health issues or if children and pets live in your home. Whenever possible, try to find somewhere for you and your family to stay until the mold has been removed.
Remove the Mold
In some cases, the amount of mold growth is small enough that you can get rid of it yourself with bleach and water. However, if there is a great deal of mold or if it’s black mold, you should let a professional handle the work.
Professionals have the tools, knowledge, and resources needed to effectively get the mold out of your home. It’s the best way to ensure your home is safe for your family.
Before you choose a mold remediation company, you’ll want to do your research. Sadly, there are many unscrupulous companies and people who take advantage of situations such as this. The best way to prevent that is to get multiple estimates, ask for licenses, and check reviews.
Address the Root Cause
Getting rid of the mold is only half the battle. You’ll also need to make sure it doesn’t happen again by fixing what caused the mold in the first place. Often, it will be a leaky pipe, a damaged roof, or poor ventilation. A mold inspector can help you find the root cause.
Rebuild and Replace
When the mold growth is extensive, it might require taking down walls or getting rid of furniture, cabinets, or other items. If this happens in your home, your next step is to replace those items.
Mold can be a scary and unhealthy thing to live with. By following the steps above, you can kick this unwelcome guest to the curb.
How do you know if you have mold growing in your house?
Mold is a fungus that grows in damp, humid conditions and can often go undetected in the home. However, several signs can indicate the presence of mold in your house. The most obvious sign of mold is visible growth, which may appear as dark spots or clusters on walls, ceilings, or floors. These growths can also have a fuzzy or slimy texture and a musty odor.
Another indication of mold is a persistent musty smell in your home, even after thoroughly cleaning and airing out the space. This odor is often caused by the release of mold spores, which can cause respiratory issues for those with allergies or asthma.
If you or your family members experience unexplained respiratory symptoms such as coughing, sneezing, or watery eyes, this may also indicate the presence of mold in your home. Additionally, if you have experienced water damage in your home, such as a leaky roof or a flooded basement, mold growth can increase.
To determine if you have mold in your home, it is recommended to hire a professional mold inspector who can conduct a thorough inspection and take samples for testing. Identifying and addressing mold growth in your home can prevent potential health issues and maintain a safe and healthy living environment.