Last Updated on February 20, 2023 by admin
Hard Water treatment is one common problem faced by house residents and workers in industries globally. It constitutes about 85% of the water supply deployed for so many reasons.
A major constituent of hard water which makes it problematic is a high mineral content, a buildup of calcium and magnesium generally as bicarbonates, chlorides, and sulfates.
Here, I will walk you through the problems faced with hard water and then show you the possible treatment solutions.
The effects are usually unfavorable when engaging hard water.
Common Problems of Hard Water
Hard Water reacts with several household systems and appliances and can cause a serious breakdown on these appliances in no time. Minerals in hard water when dissolved with soap create scum. Another effect is that the chemical buildup of minerals causes clothes, dishes and glasses, appliances, ceramics, and even the skin and hair to wear out easily.
Here are some of the household problems with Hard Water.
- You feel some residue when you wash your hands with soap and hard water. The residue is a result of the soap scum created with hard water. You might need to wash harder, or probably clean your hands with a napkin to scrub the residue away.
- The buildup of scale on your plumbing appliances: tanks, pipes, and water heaters. This buildup restricts water flow and creates clogs especially on pipes, bathroom tiles, and kitchen basins. There is a high tendency of fixing or repairing the appliances regularly, because of the huge stress placed on them.
- Soap scum leaves spots on your kitchen and bathroom utensils: sinks, silverware, and glassware. They become malleable and easy to break, especially glass cups and glass plates. They also reduce the clarity or opacity of kitchen and bathroom glasswares.
- Irritating skin problems as a result of the resting of soap scum on the skin and hair. The skin and hair become completely dry and dull; moisture is drained up.
- Electricity bills start piling up. Hard water with scaled deposits inside equipment like heater and jugs reduce their performances, hence increasing electricity bills.
- Clothes and other accessories wear out easily. One, as a result of less effective washing arising from lack of suds. Two, the effect of hard water on cotton makes the cloth softer and changes color.
- Increased usage of toiletries. The soap scum created from hard water weakens the natural constituents of water. Hence, when used, you might need to use more soap or shampoo to create lather.
TREATMENT SOLUTIONS FOR HARD WATER
The most effective ways of dealing with hard waters:
- Temporarily Boiling Hard Water: Hard Water contains a large amount of calcium bicarbonate. Boiling absorbs and precipitates mineral components out of hard water. At that point, the process produces soft water. However, it doesn’t leave a permanent effect on hard water. Calcium sulfate cannot be removed by boiling.
- Vinegar: Calcium-filled water usually reacts with acids like vinegar. Vinegar works when placed with buildups, dissolves calcium in about one hour or less. Distilled vinegar kills mold, germs, fungi, bacteria and helps to thoroughly clean dishware.
- Appliance Cleaners: They are useful in treating hard water in appliances and pipe systems. The buildups can be removed with acidic, chlorinated, and abrasive cleaners. And they help to preserve appliances durably. They are usually alternative solutions to Vinegar.
- Rinse/Cleaning Aid: Soap scums are usually created out of the reaction between hard water minerals and the chemical compositions in soap. A cleaning aid helps you to rinse away the calcium atoms created to form soap scums in hard water. Once it counters the atoms, it is impossible to form soap scums.