Portrait photography is one of the most popular genres of photography. This type of photography is used to capture the person’s personality. Portrait photography is used mainly to capture the true mood of the subject. The main area of focus under such photography is the subject’s face as well as expression. Many people relate portrait photography with a headshot and nothing more than but in reality it is one of the many types of portrait photography. The scope of portrait photography is huge which helps in serving a different purpose. One must choose the right style of portrait photography that captures what you are looking for. For this, one must understand various types of portrait photography styles. Some of the best styles of portrait photography are mentioned below:
- Traditional Portrait: Traditional portrait photography is one of the most common types of portrait photography. Under this type of photography, the subject focuses on the camera. The subject under portrait photography poses to look their very best. This photography takes place mostly in the studio along with the formal backdrop. This photography focuses mainly on the face of the subject thus cropping the photo to the shoulder. The most common example of such photography high school yearbook photographs. Such photography has been in existence for a longer period.
- Lifestyle Portrait: Contrary to traditional photography, the lifestyle portrait captures the subject in their everyday environment rather than in a formal studio setting. The main purpose of this type of photography is to capture people doing their ordinary stuff and presenting them in the best possible way. This type of photography is not about perfect posing rather it is about capturing the moment and to do the photographer has the limited frame to do so. Some examples of such photography include siblings playing or jumping on the bed, the interaction between family members, and many more. This type of photography helps to create touching and everlasting memories.
- Surreal Portraits: Surreal portraits are class-apart photography. The Surreal portrait helps to turn a dream into reality, focuses on alternate settings. This unique style of photography makes use of Photoshop, props, and various tricks to get the required outcome. The main purpose of surreal portraits is to give its audience the feeling of dreamlike. Such photography cannot be performed by anyone as it requires the highest level of skills.
- Environmental Portrait: Environmental portrait is the combination of traditional and lifestyle portrait where both the person and environment play an important role. The backdrop of such photography is specific which has special meaning for the subject but it is not as informal as lifestyle portrait as posing techniques and lighting are used in this photography.
- Group Portrait: Portrait photography is not limited to one individual; it may also include a couple, family as well as group. Clicking the photograph of more than one person is often more difficult as there are more people are required to pose and thus genuine interactions are to be shown.
Hence these are top styles of portrait photography and to get the best result one must trust a professional such as portrait photographer Canberra.